Selected publications and conference contributions
- Miller, P. (2020). Anti-racist school leadership: making ‘race’ count in leadership preparation and development, Professional Development in Education, https://doi.org/10.1080/19415257.2020.1787207
- Miller, P. (2020). BAME Teacher Progression in England: Towards a Conceptual Model, International Studies in Educational Administration, 47 (3), 18- 35. http://cceam.org/publications/isea/
- Miller, P. (2019). The Political Dichotomy of School Leadership: Policy, Practice, Social Justice – Evidence from Sixteen Countries, Research in Educational Administration & Leadership, Special Issue, https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/898594
- Miller, P. (2019). ‘Tackling’ race inequality in school leadership: Positive actions in BAME teacher progression – evidence from three English schools, Educational Management Administration & Leadership. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1741143219873098
- Miller, P. Hill-Berry, N., Hylton-Fraser., Powell, S. (2019). Social Justice Work as Activism: The Work of Education Professionals in England and Jamaica, International Studies in Educational Administration, 47(1), 3-18. http://cceam.org/publications/isea/
- Miller, P. (2018). Race in/equality and school leadership: what can school leaders and governors do? School Leadership Today, 8(5), 32-39 https://www.teachingtimes.com/slt85raceinequalityandschoolleadership/
- Miller, P. (2018). Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs) in England: surviving or thriving Management in Education, 32(4), 160- 166 https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0892020618795201
- Miller, P. (2018). Aspiration, career progression and Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs) in England, International Journal of Leadership in Education, 22(1) 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2018.1503838
- Miller, P. & Callender, C. (2018). Black leaders matter: agency, progression and the sustainability of BME school leadership in England, Journal of Multicultural Education, 12(2), 183-196. https://doi.org/10.1108/JME-12-2016-0063
- Miller, P. (2018) ‘Culture’, ‘Context’, School Leadership and Entrepreneurialism: Evidence from Sixteen Countries, Education Sciences, 8(76), 1-14. https://www.mdpi.com/2227-7102/8/2/76
- Miller, P. (2016) ‘White sanction’, institutional, group and individual interaction in the promotion and progression of black and minority ethnic academics and teachers in England, Power & Education, 8(3), 205-221. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1757743816672880
- Miller, P. (2019). Race discrimination, cultural inequality, and the politics of knowledge in England. In R. Papa (Ed), Springer Handbook on Promoting Social Justice in Education. https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-3-030-14625-2_43
- Miller, P. (2019). Race and Ethnicity in Educational Leadership. In T. Bush and L. Bell (Eds), Principles of Educational leadership & Management, 3rd edn, London: SAGE. https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/principles-of-educational-leadership-management/book258794#contents
- Miller, P. Roofe, C., García-Carmona (2019). School Leadership, Curriculum Diversity, Social Justice and Critical Perspectives in Education. In, P. Angelle & D. Torrance (Eds), Cultures of Social Justice
- Leadership: An Intercultural Context of Schools, London: Palgrave Macmillan. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-10874-8_5
- Miller, P. (2019). Race, Origin, Qualifications and the Progression of Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs) in England. In, P. Miller & C. Callender, Race, Educational and Educational leadership in England: An Integrated Analysis, London: Bloomsbury. http://dx.doi.org/10.5040/9781350068629.ch-005
- Race, Education and Educational Leadership in England: An Integrated Analysis, London, Bloomsbury (April 2019). [Co-editor, with Dr. Christine Callender] https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/race-education-and-educational-leadership-in-england-9781350068612/
- The Nature of School Leadership: Global Practice Perspectives, London: Palgrave Macmillan (February 2018) https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783319701042
- Cultures of Educational Leadership: Global and Intercultural Perspectives, London: Palgrave Macmillan (January 2017) [Editor] https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9781137585660
- Exploring School Leadership in England and the Caribbean: New Insights from a Comparative Approach, London: Bloomsbury, (January 2016) https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/exploring-school-leadership-in-england-and-the-caribbean-9781474251709/
Invited lectures and keynotes
- Race, Ethnicity and Educational Leadership: The Persistence of Inequality in England, BELMAS Conference 2018, Research Symposium, Windsor, 6-8 July.
- Male school leader narratives: who’s in and who’s out? BELMAS 2016 Conference, Cheshire, UK, 8-11 July (presented with Christine Callender)
- Thirty Black male school leaders in England: Who are they? And what is known about them? AERA conference, Washington, 9-14 April 2016, (presented with Christine Callender).
- How to improve our ability to be inclusive and lead change in the new normal? FastForward: Diversity and Inclusion Webcast, Online, 19 July 2020.
- Tackling race inequality in school leadership: What can school leaders and governors do? Online, 15 July 2020. Invited Q&A Session.
- How can we accelerate change to ensure the inclusivity of the HE curriculum, Teaching in the spotlight: creative thinking to enhance the student experience – from curriculum design to student success, AdvanceHE Teaching & Learning Conference 2020, Online, 07 July 2020, Invited Panel.
- BAME students in UK HE: Towards a practice of justice? Teaching in the spotlight: creative thinking to enhance the student experience – from curriculum design to student success, AdvanceHE Teaching & Learning Conference 2020, Online, 07 July 2020, Invited Keynote.
- BAME teacher progression in England: The role of educational leaders. Let’s talk about race Equality in UK Higher Education: Brunel University London Symposium, Online, 22 June 2020, Invited Panel
- What does a pandemic mean for school leadership development? Ambition Institute’s Summer Series, Ambition Institute, Online, 19th June 2020, Invited Panel Contribution.
- January 2020, Race/ethnicity, identity and co-identification in Higher Education: are we there yet? Conference Keynote: University of Greenwich’s SHIFT Conference, London, UK.
- December 2019, BAME career progression in England: Towards a conceptual model. Conference Keynote: AdvanceHE – Symposium on Academic Career Progression, York, UK.
- October 2019, Leadership for Equity: Working within/ without the system. Conference Keynote: 17th Standing Conference on Education in the North & South, Ballyconnell, Ireland.
- May 2019, Race at work: case studies of BAME teacher institutional interaction in three English schools, University of Coventry, 14th.
- April 2019, Teacher progression and school leadership: case studies from England and Jamaica, University at Buffalo, SUNY, 11th.
- April 2019, Education as a social vaccine in the fight against Gender-Based Violence: The role of educational leaders, University at Buffalo, SUNY, 11th.
- February 2019, Unpicking privilege and power: What does real equality look like? UCU Annual Cradle to Grave Conference, Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, 16th (Panel Session).
- September 2018, Race discrimination, cultural inequality, and the politics of knowledge in England, Northumbria University, British Educational Research Association – Annual Conference Keynote, 11th – 13th.
We provide consultancy services in research, capacity-development and institutional support on ‘race’ and other inclusion, diversity and equity issues grounded in research evidence and practice experience.
Company number: 12718201
Company address: 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, N17GU